2019 marks the 20th consecutive year that we will offer free rides on New Year’s Eve. Starting at 8 p.m. on Tuesday, December 31 and going through 5 a.m. on Wednesday, January 1 all trips on Muni are free.
This program supports San Francisco’s Vision Zero goal to eliminate traffic fatalities.
Ride Muni Free New Year’s Eve includes all Muni lines and routes. All information, including schedules and stops, will be posted on our webpage. Clipper Card customers should NOT tap their cards to make sure they don’t get charged a fare. Muni Mobile passes will not be necessary. Metro fare gates will be open that night.
Don’t drink and drive, let Muni do the driving.
New Year’s Eve Muni Service:
- Complimentary Muni service from 8 p.m. on Tuesday, December 31 to 5 a.m. on Wednesday, January 1.
- Owl service frequency is doubled on the 5 Fulton, 14 Mission, 22 Fillmore, 24 Divisadero, 25 Treasure Island, 38 Geary, 44 O’Shaughnessy, 48 Quintara-24th, 90 Owl, 91 Owl, L Owl and N Owl routes.
- Extra LRV Metro shuttles will run from West Portal to 4th and King until 2:15 a.m.
- Extra LRV Metro service between Embarcadero and West Portal will run until 5 a.m.
- Service on cable cars will be provided by buses after approximately 6 p.m.
- Service on the F Market & Wharves will be provided by buses all day.
At midnight on New Year’s Eve, a city-sponsored fireworks show from a barge off of The Embarcadero, south of the Ferry Building will take place. Motorists should anticipate delays in the area from approximately 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. No closures or re-routes are planned. SFPD and SFMTA will monitor for any necessary re-routes. For details, please visit our webpage.
BART will provide additional service until approximately 3 a.m., January 1. After 8 p.m. BART service to and from the East Bay will be split between Embarcadero and Montgomery stations. Antioch and Richmond line trains heading into San Francisco will not stop at Embarcadero Station. Exit at Montgomery Street Station for the fireworks show. Dublin/Pleasanton and So. Fremont/Warm Springs line trains will not stop at Montgomery Street Station. After the fireworks, Dublin/Pleasanton and So. Fremont/Warm Springs trains will not stop at West Oakland. The first East Bay stop is Lake Merritt Station. Millbrae and Daly City passengers should use Montgomery Street Station. Full fare pricing will be in effect. For more details, please visit www.bart.gov.
Caltrain service will be free after 8 p.m. on New Year’s Eve and continue until 5 a.m. For more details, please visit www.caltrain.com.
SamTrans will offer free rides on all buses beginning at 8 p.m. on December 31 until 5 a.m. on January 1. For more details, please visit http://www.samtrans.com
Published December 20, 2019 at 01:22AM